|1. Location of the Project :
Country – India
State – Meghalaya
District – West Khasi Hills
Block – Nongstoin C&RD Block
Address of the Project Site – Nongpyndeng, Nongstoin-793119(Although the Children’s Home will be set up at Nongpyndeng, Nongstoin-793119, it will cover the Orphan children from all over Meghalaya.)The site of the proposed Children’s Home is 97 Km. away from Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya and is accessible by Motor way. Shillong is connected with rest of the country through Air way and Motor way via Guwahati. There is an Air Port in Shillong. One can also reach Shillong via Guwahati – Kolkata / Delhi / Mumbai to Guwahati by Air and from Guwahati to Shillong by road way. It takes 2 hours to reach Shillong by road way from Guwahati.2. Overall Goal of the Project –
The overall goal of the Project is to cause all round development to the needy and neglected children and integrate them in the mainstream of social life.
3. Specific Objectives –
- To give shelter to 100 shelter-less children who live in extreme poverty having nobody to look after.
- To provide pre-primary and primary education to 100 needy and neglected children having no access to education.
- To mainstream the targeted children in the formal system of education after their pre-primary and primary education are complete.
- To sensitize the targeted children on their rights and entitlements.
- To provide vocational training in different region-specific and market-oriented trades to the elderly children.
- To improve the nutritional status of the targeted 100 children by way of providing them with nourishing food daily.
- To give the targeted children access to primary health care facilities by arranging their regular medical check-up.
- To generate awareness among the targeted children about cleanliness, health, hygiene, safe drinking water, sanitation and environment.
- To impart life-skill education among the targeted children with a prime focus on the girl children.
- To form the moral character of the targeted children from their childhood by giving them value-based education.
- To arrange different sports, games, educational tour and cultural activities for the targeted children for their proper physical and mental growth.
- To coordinate, make constant liaison and network with the different departments of State Government and also local self-government so that the targeted children have access to different programmes meant for their development.
4. Target Groups –
100 distressed, deserted and downtrodden children who live in utter neglect and have got no relation to look after are the target groups of the proposed project. These children include street children, children of the wives deserted by their husbands, children of the poorest of the poor, children having no parental care, neglected children of the migratory workers and also orphans. They belong to both male and female children within the age group of 4-13 years. They hail from different districts of the state Meghalaya. All of them belong to tribal communities. They live in extreme poverty and privation being deprived of all the basic needs of life. They are shelter-less and live in sordid living condition. They do not have even square meals a day and due to lack of food they suffer from severe mal-nutrition. These mal-nourished children fall easy prey to different food-borne, water-borne, air-borne, vector-borne and nutrition related diseases. But unfortunately, they do not have any access to primary health care facilities. The rate of mortality and morbidity among these children is naturally very high. The targeted orphan children have no access to primary education. Most of these children are school-less who have never gone to school. Few have gone to school but dropped out from the primary level of education due to crushing poverty. And in this way the childhood of these orphan children is lost in poverty, ill-health and diseases.
5. Proposed Activities of the Project –
- Establishment of an Children’s Home for sheltering 100 shelter-less children – The Children’s Home will be housed in 4 tiny cottages (cement construction). Each cottage (small building with cement construction) will accommodate 25 needy and neglected children. The land for the construction will be donated by the Applicant NGO. The Children’s Home will have open space for the sports, games and cultural activities of the targeted children.
- Setting up of pre-primary and primary education centres in the adjacent areas of the Children’s Home for providing pre-primary and primary education to the targeted children according to their age groups.
- Establishment of a vocational training centre for providing vocational training to the elderly children in different vocations suiting to the age groups of the children.
- One Community Hall will be constructed in the adjacent areas of the Children’s Home for different entertainment and cultural programmes of the targeted children.
- Provision of pre-primary education to the little children in the age group of 4-5 years in local language. The method of teaching will be very easy and participatory. The students will regularly be provided with different training and learning materials.
- Provision of primary education to the children within the age groups of 6-13 years in local language. The process of teaching will be simple and participatory. The students will regularly be provided with training and learning materials. Apart from imparting primary education awareness will also be created among the targeted students about cleanliness, health, hygiene, safe drinking water, sanitation and environment. To strengthen their moral character their will also a class for Moral Education at least twice in a week.
- Constant liaison and coordination will be made with the local formal schools for mainstreaming the targeted children in the formal system of education after their primary education is complete.
- For the improvement of the nutritional status of the targeted children they will be daily provided with nourishing food including break-fast, lunch, Tiffin, dinner etc. having nutritious food items.
- Regular health check-up of the targeted children will be conducted. For this purpose, 1 M.B.B.S. doctor will be attached with the Children’s Home. He will regularly check-up the health of the targeted children, diagnose their diseases if any, and prescribe necessarily. Necessary medicines will be provided to the children and if felt necessary the arrangement for admission of the diseased children will be made in the good government hospitals.
- Regular sports, games and cultural activities will be arranged for the targeted children for their proper physical and mental growth.
- In each year 1 Educational Tour will be arranged for the targeted children to different places of interests in the state for their entertainment as well as proper mental growth.
6. Duration of the Project – 1 year (Although the proposed project is a continuing project, fund is sought from the donor agency initially for 1 year.)
7. Management of the Project – For the smooth management of the Children’s Home One Project Management Committee consisting of 2 Board Members of the Applicant NGO, 1 Expert from the Applicant NGO, 2 eminent Educationist from the local area and 1 representative of the local community will be formed.
8. Estimated cost of the Project –
A) Not-Recurring Expenditure : Rs. 70 lakhs
B) Recurring Expenditure for 1 year : **********
9. Expected outcomes of the Project –
The expected outcomes of the project are highlighted below :
- Improvement in the living condition of 100 needy and neglected children.
- Provision of shelter to 100 shelter-less children.
- Spread of primary education among 100 school-less children.
- Formation of skills in different need-based and market-oriented vocations among the elderly children.
- Improving the nutritional status of the targeted 100 children.
- Generation of awareness about rights and entitlements among the targeted 100 children.
- Provision of primary health care facilities to the targeted 100 children.
- Dissemination of awareness about health, hygiene, nutrition, cleanliness and environment among the targeted 100 children.
- Creating an atmosphere for the proper physical and mental growth of the children.
- Strengthening the moral character of 100 poor children from their very childhood.
10. Sustainability of the Project – After funding from the exogenous sources comes to an end the activities of the project will be followed up, sustained and maintained by the Applicant NGO in active help and collaboration of the local community and the targeted children. However, the financial sustainability of the project will be achieved through raising community contribution, collection of donations from the members, local businessmen and corporate houses.
Report Activity 2017:RSWCH Report,17